Built around 1850 as the Scarisbrick family mansion, and de-signed by the Victorian architect Augustus Pugin, Scarisbrick Hall School is today a Grade 1 listed building sitting within its own grounds, operating as a thriving independent school. Having been threatened with closure in 2009, the school was bought and re-generated by a local family who subsequently commissioned the necessary re-roofing works to provide a safe and comfortable environment for the school’s clientele. Specialist roofing contractors BBR Roofing were instructed to assist with, and implement, proposals for the refurbishment of the Yorkshire stone slate covered roof. This involved inspection and repair of the timber sub-structure, consisting of rafters and purlins supported on king trusses. The repairs, principally to rafter ends, were all carried out by experienced joiners who cut and spliced new timbers into the original members.
The replacement of the roof covering utilised a proportion of the original York stone slates together with newly sourced materials. These were laid over battens, counter-battens and vapour permeable underlay. The original roof contained significant features of construction which all needed to be retained or reproduced for an architecturally faithful re-instatement of the roof. Although the buildings under renovation were vacant at the time, they formed part of a live school environment and as such appropriate measure were taken to carry out the roofing works with consideration to the safety of the pupils and staff, while minimising noise and disruption to the school’s activities.